Report Fraud

Rural Health Initiative

Request for Expressions of Interest (RFEI) for Rural Medicine Workforce Development
Through the Rural Health Initiative, the South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (SCDHHS) requests expressions of interest from entities wishing to establish or expand programs to promote the development of a rural medical workforce through (1) additional residencies or fellowships in rural medicine or other related areas and/or (2) efforts that expose resident physicians to rural practice as part of a recruitment strategy for rural and/or underserved communities, including rural rotation programs.

Through this RFEI, and in consultation with Medical Education Advisory Committee (MEAC), SCDHHS intends to identify the strongest responses and invite the submitting parties to submit full proposals.  Selected entities will also be eligible to receive planning grants of up to $50,000 to help offset the costs associated with the future development of new or expanded GME-related programs.  Entities awarded the planning grants will be invited to submit full proposals in request of funding to help support operational costs once programs are implemented.  SCDHHS only expects to accept full proposals from entities that respond to this RFEI and are invited to continue.

The following in-state entities are invited to submit expressions of interest in establishing or expanding rural residency and/or fellowship programs:

  • Institutions sponsoring or directly participating in ACGME-accredited programs
  • Institutions sponsoring or directly participating in ACGME pre-accredited programs
  • Institutions sponsoring AOA-accredited programs that are seeking ACGME accreditation and which will participate in the single GME system no later than July 2020

Please read the entire Rural Health Initiative RFEI Rural Medicine Workforce Development for background, eligibility and submission requirements.

Responses to this RFEI are due to SCDHHS no later than noon Friday, Nov. 17, 2017. Each response must be submitted via email to

For questions, email

Back to Top